Every designer is different and they all run their businesses a little differently, but there are several questions that you need to ask every designer during every interview:
Start by saying “Let’s review your Contract(s) and make sure we are on the same page”:
1. What will you need from me before getting started?
2. How do you charge, and when will I be billed?
3. Please explain to me how your design process flows, and at what points you will need me most? (You may end up having several more questions after this question based on your designers responses).
4. When will you purchase my furniture/art/accessories?
5. When will the furniture/art/accessories be delivered, and by whom?
5. Will you be attending the deliveries? This is often referred to as the installation date(s) by designers.
6. How will you follow up with me after the installation?
7. When will I know the design process is completed?